Sunday, May 10, 2009

Today Is Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to my mom! She is an amazing person, but an even more amazing mother. I love her more than I could ever describe. Just the other day, I was thinking about how much I will miss my mom while I'm on my mission. Thinking about being away from my mom for 18 months hurts my heart and brings tears to my eyes. She is my strength when I'm weak and my smile when I'm sad. No one [but my siblings] is as lucky as me to have my mom for a mother.

Happy Mother's Day to my sister! She has given birth to 3 out of 3 of my favorite kids in the universe. I look up to her so much and admire her for her strength and faith. Someday I hope to be as good of a mom as she is.

Happy Mother's Day to Miles' mom, Jennifer! She is so awesome! She goes out of her way to make me feel welcome in her home and family. She raised the most incredible, handsome, respectful, caring, loving, hard-working guy I have ever known. She was able to talk to Miles on the phone today for 45 minutes and she said he sounded so great! :)

There are so many amazing women who have, without even knowing, made a huge impact on my life. Here are a few...
1. Grandma Joyce. There is NO ONE in the world with a heart like Grandma Joyce. Every time I talk to her, she tells me she loves me over and over and it never gets old!
2. Grandma Dode. She may be hilarious and outrageous, but Grandma Dode has given me advice and taught me life lessons that I will never forget.
3. Aunt Natalie. My best friends mom. I basically lived at her house every weekend. I am 100% comfortable with Natalie and feel like I could talk to her about anything.
4. Aunt Shelley. She is just one of those people who can always make you smile. I want a relationship with my future husband like the one she has with her husband.
5. Kathi Hiatt. My mom #2. What would I do without Kathi? I could talk to her forever, she makes me laugh so hard, she's an amazing example, and she raised awesome kids who I just adore!
6. Carla Goodman. My Young Women's President. She might not know it, but she really changed my life. I wasn't the quietest girl in Young Women's, and I'm sure I was a handful, but she loved me unconditionally. Plus, she taught some awesome lessons.

There are so many more but these are just the few that are very near and dear to my heart. I have such a tremendous love for mothers. I hope that because of the amazing examples that surround me, I too will be a fun, loving, strong mother.
Happy Mother's Day!

9 comments:

Sarah Hull said...

Oh Sister, that was beautiful! Thank you for that sweet tribute! I laughed so hard at the picture choices!
I love you so much!

KaceFace said...

So I'm a little hurt...i feel like I should have been on that mothers that changed your life list...

I've just always felt more like a mother to you. I sing to you, I read to you, I feed you. But Father's day is coming up so you can just add me in on that one.

The Hiatt Family said...

ahhh Sandy...thanks for your sweet comments. I feel so honored :)
Love you!
Kathi (Mom #2)

Sarah Hull said...

I too was a little shocked that Kaceface was not on that list. I thought for sure she would have made the cut.

Kellie said...

Well, Kacey stole my joke... which is a good thing because it really would have been just sort of like NOT that funny coming from me... Just sort of weird... Anyway! I really loved this post and how you paid tribute to all the women who helped mold your life. I felt teary eyed! You may miss your mom while you're apart-but you may also find that she is one of your GREATEST sources of strength while you are out there serving. NO ONE loves you the way your mom loves you! And when you're together again it will be even BETTER because you really realize what you may have taken for granted.

Nancy Smith... said...

Wow! I am so overcome by this blog. I am not a daily "blog-checker," so when I came upon this blog of yours, Sandy, I was choked up for sure. Thank you for your sweet words. All of those women you mentioned have impacted my life as well. We are surrounded by wonderful women whose examples are profound.
I also have to say, that I am so grateful to have you as a daughter. You have been a JOY to raise. I am so proud of you. I will miss you GREATLY when you leave on your mission, but I know that you will be in the Lord's hands and you will be doing His work....and you can't go wrong with that! I love you eternally!!!

Nancy Smith... said...

P.S. Yes....I agree with KaceFace...add her...she has been another mother to you through it all! (And you to her)

Natalie said...

Your so sweet Sandy!
I have to say, Nancy is a great mom and it shows in all of your brothers and sister'personalities. Everyone of you crack me up.
(Wait a minute... maybe the fun & craziness comes from Randy?!?)
It's a toss up because that jump from Disneyland'photo shoot was so funny! I'll be driving down the street and think of that and I'll start cracking up. ALL OF YOU ARE SO MUCH FUN!
I love you all.

Shelley said...

What a beautiful tribute to the women you love and look up to.
Thank you Sandy for this special post.