Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The "Goodbye"

Yes, he is gone. But I'm hanging in there. It helps to focus on other things or to remember good times we've had rather than the fact that I won't see his face or hear his voice for two years. So this post is mostly just going to be about the fun stuff we did the week before he left!

Long Beach State Basketball game. Look at all that school spirit I have for his school.

Color Me Mine. Every morning we eat cereal together for breakfast, so we thought it would be a good idea to paint bowls for each other. Some of you may be thinking, what a waste...he won't be able to eat out of it because he's leaving. But that bowl will still be here in 2 short years and most likely he will still enjoy a delicious bowl of cereal then also ...alright?

Long Beach State Dirtbags Baseball Game. It was his last dirtbags game before he left and it was certainly a fun one because we met up with his dad and our friends, Mike and Jay. The game lasted 4 1/2 hours (way too long) and we ended up loosing but Mike got a foul ball and gave it to Miles!

Utah. My family drove up on Thursday and Miles and I flew up on Saturday. They picked us up from the airport and we all went to Salt Lake to hang out for the day. We went shopping at the Gateway mall and walked around Temple Square.





The Roof. Best buffet ever. It's on the top floor of the Joseph Smith Building in Temple Square. It was delicious and so much fun.

Church. We all went to church at his mom's ward where Miles was able to bear his testimony. It was such a sweet testimony and he had us all in tears (all=his mom, my mom, me). His mom and step-dad also got up to bear their testimony. It was such a nice fast and testimony meeting.


Now, comes the sad part.
The Goodbye. The night before we had to say goodbye, we stayed up late and talked about every single emotion we were feeling. What we're excited for, what we're sad about, what we're going to do when we see each other again...etc. We both shed a good amount of tears, but it felt so good to let it out because we've both been trying to be so strong.
The next morning after I was packed and we finished breakfast, he held me on the couch where we said "I love you" to each other about 500 times. Then we heard the inevitable car-door-slam outside and the only thing I could say was, "yuck." My family came in and said their goodbyes to Miles and his family. All of a sudden after my family was back in the car and his family was in the house, we were left alone on the porch and we knew it was time. It would be impossible to put into words what I felt during this time. So so so many emotions were happening to me. But I only let one tear out as we hugged, kissed one last time, and said "I love you, bye."

As I walked away from him, the love of my life, I felt such a feeling of peace come over me. It was almost as if he was still there, holding me. I know that at that moment, the Lord was answering my prayers and the prayers given by others for me.

The MTC. I wanted to be gone before he was set apart so I didn't have to shake his hand goodbye, so I didn't go to the MTC to drop him off. But, his family dropped him off there today and his mom sent me some pictures. How cute does he look in his suit with the name tag and all?

Home. I am actually doing surprisingly well. As long as I keep myself occupied or surrounded by people, I feel so much better. Every once in a while it hurts really bad and I have to grab my heart to keep it from breaking into pieces. But when that happens, I have to remember how amazing it is that my boyfriend is giving two whole years of his life to serve the Lord and how much he will grow in that time. Then when I think about that, I start thinking about MY mission and I get so excited! My papers are done and after my appointment with the Stake President, he will send them to the Brethren! Hopefully I'll leave in June which means I'll get back only three months before Miles! How exciting is that?! That is one of the things that helps me feel better.

I'm so proud of Miles. He is going to be an AMAZING missionary. He is so obedient and hard-working. I know that the Lord has already blessed him in so many ways for choosing to serve a mission. I can't wait to serve also and get home, wait 3 months, and finally be with my boo again!

10 comments:

Steph said...

Oh Sandy what a sweet post. I remember sending Spencer off... it was horrible for like a week and then it got better! (Dont look to me as an example of waiting... haha im not a good one)

HOW exciting about your MISSION! that is so exciting! remember to smile and time will FLY! no joke.

Sarah Hull said...

I am CRYING at that picture of him in the MTC. TOTALLY Crying. Still crying as I write this!
What a special post.
In no time at all, this special experience will be over and you two will be married with TWINS! I just know it!

Shelley said...

Sandy, this post was so full of emotion - from one end of the spectrum to the other. I know you will be able to handle this because you are such a strong young woman. I think it's wonderful that you will be serving a mission at the same time Miles is serving; you will be a fantastic missionary.

Kellie said...

oh my gosh! What an emotional ride this post was! I have tears rolling down my face. My heart aches... ACHES for you, but you have SUCH a great attitude and outlook on this, Sandy. It will be over before you know it and you'll be together again!

Sherri Araiza said...

My heart is with you....I know it's really hard, but like you said, he is doing the best thing he could possibly be doing. You both will be blessed for your willingness to serve the Lord. My prayers are with you.

Donovan and Tawny Holloway said...

Wow what a great post, keeping a positive outlook on things is probably the best way to look at the situation.And on top of that you have goals which will help pass time and keep you busy. You will be an awesome missionary! He will be an awesome missionary! And the stories you two will get to share with each other as you serve will be great reminders of the strong bond and love you have.

Melissa said...

Sandy,
I am Sarah's friend Melissa Hoyal. This post is totally breaking my heart because my husband and I went through this too. Here is what helped me:
-My journal became my new best friend. I wrote all my feelings in it and enjoy rereading from time to time now.
-You have to be strong for him and not let him know that you miss him. My letters were so not mushy, but very encouraging and I often shared my testimony and things I had learned with him. He said he really appreciated that. He had comps you got mushy letters and he said it was harder for them to stay focused on the work.
-Stay "actively engaged in righteous endeavors". It looks like you got this under control as you prepare for your own mission! How exciting for you!

I know all will work out for you two and I know its tough, but it will get better, I promise!

The Fossetts said...

I feel you gurrl! I'm sooo proud of you. That seriously is the hardest thing to do. I'm nervous for when it's my time for that to come! But it feels sooo much better knowing that we're going ourselves! CONGRATS on finishing! Goodluck with your interview!!!!!!
You will be such a great missionary. I can't wait to hear about it. Hey.. I might see you for all we know! ;)
I'm here for you<3333

Carrie Anne said...

sandy...this is carrie anne, a friend of sarah's. tears as i remember feeling SO MANY of these emotions when i left on my mission! you maintain such a great attitude & that is AWESOME! it is so neat that both of you get to be out serving at the same time b/c that will seriously strengthen both of you so much! what's incredible, too, is that you will share great experiences & upon your return you'll both have such an appreciation for each other's missions. both of you should be so proud of yourselves for making these good, right choices...you will definitely be blessed. i know it doesn't make it easier but really both of you are going to be even more amazing to each other! i married an elder from my mission & i LOVE LOVE LOVE that we have that in common! miles will love that you were a missionary, too, b/c you'll understand him at an entirely new level. it's just awesome! now i cannot wait to hear about where you are called! i absolutely LOVED my mission-would not trade it for anything! it was incredible...super hard but super rewarding all at once. i actually met sarah through a mission companion who became my best friend. keep your head up & know you are doing all the right things!!!

Mamasita said...

Sandy I am balling. I feel like so MANY emotions just got brought back. I feel like a lot of us know exactly how it hurts. Keep remembering the fun times and in no time you will be getting letters and that is when the fun starts again. The mail man will become you hero or you will want to cuss him out. Thanks for all the updates..keep them coming.